About Ashaiman Municipal Assembly
Ashaiman is a sprawling “urban settlement” most parts of which exhibit characteristics of a slum. This pertains especially around the core business arena of the community. The 2010 Population and Housing Census Report indicated that the population of Ashaiman is 190,754 indicating a growth rate of 2.1%.
The rapid population growth can largely be attributed to the fact that Ashaiman continues to serve as a dormitory town for most youths who migrate from the surrounding communities and other parts of the country to Ashaiman in search of jobs in the Tema Metropolis. Currently, Ashaiman is home to people from many ethnic groups. It is estimated that there are over 50 different ethnic groups resident in Ashaiman. The construction of Tema Harbor and the railway line in the 1950s, contributed to the migration of people to the area in search of jobs and many of those who could not found accommodation in Tema had to look for cheap accommodation in Ashaiman, who found residence in the cheap accommodation that Ashaiman provided.
The Ashaiman Municipal Assembly was established by the Legislative Instrument (LI) 1889 of November 2007.
The functions of the Ashaiman Municipal Assembly like all other Assemblies are basically derived from the statute as mandated by the Local Government, 1993 (Act 462) and Legislative Instrument, 1889 which created the Assembly. These functions, which are broadly aimed at attaining its objectives and fulfilling its mission of improving the quality of life of its people, are to;
- be responsible for the overall development of the municipality and shall ensure the preparation and submission through the Regional Coordinating Council:
i. of development plans of the municipality to the commission for approval and
ii. of the budget of the municipality related to the approved plans to the Minister of Finance for approval.
- Formulate and execute plans, programmes and strategies for the effective mobilization of the resources necessary for the overall development of the municipality.
- Promote and support productive activity and social development in the municipality and remove any obstacles to initiative and development;
- Initiate programmes for the development of basic infrastructure and provide municipal works and services in the municipality.
- Be responsible for the development, improvement and management of human settlements and the environment in the municipality.
- In cooperation with the appropriate national and local security agencies are responsible for the maintenance of security and public safety in the municipality.
- Ensure ready access to courts in the municipality for the promotion of justice.
- Initiate, sponsor or carry out such studies as may be necessary for the discharge of any of the functions conferred by this Act or any other enactment.
Ashaiman Municipal Assembly exists to improve the living standards of its citizenry through; effective planning and resource mobilization, in collaboration with all stakeholders, to provide general socio-economic infrastructure and basic services in an environmentally sustainable manner.
"To develop Ashaiman into a Modern 24-hour Livable City by the year 2025".
In order to attain the above goals, the following objectives have been outlined by the Assembly:
- To ensure the improvement of businesses and investment environment, including tourism to the benefit of citizens and especially the vulnerable groups.
- To develop necessary infrastructure and energy required for the improvement in the municipality.
- To enhance the quality of the human resource base by ensuring the right to basic social services such as education, safe drinking water and sanitation.
- To strengthen the institutional capacity of the Municipal Assembly and the structures to enhance mobilization of resources for effective performance of the municipal Assembly .