Department of Transport
The Department of Transport is to assist the Assembly formulate and implement policies on transport services within the framework of national policies.
The Department shall;
- advise the Assembly on matters relating to transport services in the District;
- prohibit or restrict the driving of general or any specified vehicles on specified roads or specified direction.
- regulate the use and conduct of public vehicles, including the routes and parking places in accordance with the Driver and other detailed Vehicle Licensing Authority Act (Act569);
- provide for the identification of licensed vehicles;
- license taxis, bicycles and motor bikes and prescribe fees to be paid;
- establish, acquire and maintain transport services by land or water including ferries;
- maintain records of classified contractors and consultants in the transport services industry within the District;
- prepare composite progress and annual reports on transport works in the district;
- assist in the review of road designs by consultants for designated roads; and establish, maintain and control parks for motor and other vehicles.